As a Jewish parent and environmental scientist, I am consumed by guilt for taking the baby bottle shortcut when feeding our kids many years ago. Yes, I put formula, and even – gasp –breast milk, in a plastic bottle and heated it for 30 seconds in the microwave to satiate our kids and get them to stop crying. Who knows what was leached from those indestructible, clear plastic baby bottles while I was heating milk to lukewarm temperatures.
Of all people, I should have known better. As more information came out in the public health literature about the risks of consuming Bisphenol A (BPA), an organic chemical used to produce polycarbonate plastics that are clear and nearly shatterproof, my guilt grew over exposing my three kids to an endocrine disrupting, potential neurotoxin and carcinogen.